Pages

Saturday, 14 November 2020

Day 243 of self-isolation - An upgrade

An upgrade

I upgraded from Fedora 32 to 33. It's been going well, until I upgraded my main workstation. And it refused to boot. I did a bit of Googling, and it seems that the problem is my NVidia GeForce 1050 ti. There might be other Nvidia video cards with the same problem.

I tinkered with it for a while, following a procedure that I googled, but that didn't work.

I thought about it, and decided that I could tinker until kingdom come, or reinstall Linux, which I was pretty sure would work.

And it worked. But then I had to set up the IP address, and install of the bits and bobs that I find useful.

And then I tested the HMRC payetools, which I have to run each month. And that didn't work, which is a big roblem. The reason it doesn't work is that my system is 64 bit, and HMRC are still in the 32 bit era. But I found a workaround. There is a workaround on the HMRC web site, but it's for Ubuntu. Here's how I fixed the problem for Fedora:

yum -y install --skip-broken glibc.i686 arts.i686 audiofile.i686 bzip2-libs.i686 cairo.i686 cyrus-sasl-lib.i686 dbus-libs.i686 directfb.i686 esound-libs.i686 fltk.i686 freeglut.i686 gtk2.i686 hal-libs.i686 imlib.i686 lcms-libs.i686 lesstif.i686 libacl.i686 libao.i686 libattr.i686 libcap.i686 libdrm.i686 libexif.i686 libgnomecanvas.i686 libICE.i686 libieee1284.i686 libsigc++20.i686 libSM.i686 libtool-ltdl.i686 libusb.i686 libwmf.i686 libwmf-lite.i686 libX11.i686 libXau.i686 libXaw.i686 libXcomposite.i686 libXdamage.i686 libXdmcp.i686 libXext.i686 libXfixes.i686 libxkbfile.i686 libxml2.i686 libXmu.i686 libXp.i686 libXpm.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 libxslt.i686 libXt.i686 libXtst.i686 libXv.i686 libXxf86vm.i686 lzo.i686 mesa-libGL.i686 mesa-libGLU.i686 nas-libs.i686 nss_ldap.i686 cdk.i686 openldap.i686 pam.i686 popt.i686 pulseaudio-libs.i686 sane-backends-libs-gphoto2.i686 sane-backends-libs.i686 SDL.i686 svgalib.i686 unixODBC.i686 zlib.i686 compat-expat1.i686 compat-libstdc++-33.i686 openal-soft.i686 alsa-oss-libs.i686 redhat-lsb.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 alsa-plugins-oss.i686 alsa-lib.i686 nspluginwrapper.i686 libXv.i686 libXScrnSaver.i686 qt.i686 qt-x11.i686 pulseaudio-libs.i686 pulseaudio-libs-glib2.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686

I don't know which of that bundle of bodges is necessary, and I'm not going to experiment to find out. But I do know that after I did that, the PAYE tools worked. Hurrah!

So I put the old drive into the same machine, and copied all the other stuff I needed from drive to drive.

And now everything works ... I think.



No comments:

Post a comment