I have a 20 inch wheel folding bike that I haven't used for a long time. Instead, I've been using the 26 inch wheel bikes, based on a Haro folder.
The Synergie (which I plan to name bike.4) had two problems. The first problem was that the pedals got very wobbly. I decided that this was caused by worn bearings in the bottom bracket, and my local bike shop said the wouldn't be able to fix it, because it used a custom bottom bracket. I believed them, but after several months, I was looking in Ebay for a bottom bracket for one of the Haros, also because of wear. And I found that bottom brackets come in all sizes, and are quite cheap, about £9. So I bought one that I thought would fit bike.4, and blow me, it worked a treat. So, first problem fixed.
The second problem was more severe. I couldn't see any way to put a rear carrier on the bike, so carrying spare batteries, water etc was a major problem. I could only use a backpack, and that can be a lot of weight on my back. But very recently, I looked at bike.3, which doesn't have eyelets for a carrier, and reaslised that the carrier that I had on that, would very likely work on bike.4.
So I got one from Ebay, £15, and yesterday I fitted it, and it looks good!
This means that I can remove the rear battery carrier shelf (the battery will go in a pannier), and while I'm about it, I can replace the bike motor controller with something a lot better - an Infineon.
So I removed the battery carrier, and unwound the curly-wurly cable tidy, took off the cables, and looked at what I had. The first thing I saw was the reason why the front light wasn't working - the wire had broken. I also found that the microswitch on one of the brakes (it's to cut the motor when you brake, in case you forgot to) wasn't working.
So, I stripped off all the wiring, put on a new pair of brakes with working switches, put on the three-way switch that will change power levels from 50%-75%-100%, repurposed the light switch as an ignition cutoff switch, put on a thumb throttle to replace the twist throttle (I've gotten used to a thumb throttle now, and a twist throttle would confuse me), programmed the Infineon controller to match the bike, and got everything wired up.
Testing will follow ...
The light switch didn't work, so I took it to bits and had a look. The problem was the wire, so I unsoldered that, and looked around for a suitable wire - I wanted something thin and light (this isn't carrying many milliamps of current). I chose a cable I've had for ages, it came with a UPS, and I don't link UPSes to my computers (you can tell the computer to shut itself down when the UPS signals that power is out). It looked like a serial cable, but it didn't behave like one. So it's been sitting in a box for many years. I cut it open, and to my delight I found four multi-strand wires inside. So two of them will go to the light switch (now my power-on and power-off switch, like the ignition switch on a car) and the other two will go to my voltmeter. So I attached the voltmeter to the ignition switch, and it looks very neat. All the electric bikes I've seen use a blog system. Five blobs means full, and it stays at five for a long time, then rapidly moves down to 4, 3, 2 at which point, you're empty. Not very useful. Another system is even worse, you get green-amber-red. Again, it stays on green for ages, then you get amber for a very short time, then red. So you have really no idea how much battery you have with either of those.
But the voltmeter (which cost about £1, plobably less than the blobmeter) tells you exactly how many volts you've got, to one decimal place, which is exactly what I want.
So now I was ready to roll. I put the bike on a bike stand, hooked up one of my old batteries (they have a 10 amp fuse, which I like the thought of in case of catastrophe), Ignition on, apply throttle ... nothing.
I tested the Halls - OK. I tested the motor windings - OK. I reprogrammed the controller to be happy at only 25 volts, tried it again ... nothing. I tried my Hobbyking Lipo batteries, nothing. I removed the brake cutouts, in case one of them was stuck on ... nothing. I unplugged the three-way level switch ... nothing.
I won't go down the list of all the things I tried; I'll cut to the finish. I had the throttle wired backwards. Duh. That's because I couldn't use a proper socket for putting the throttle plug into - I've ordered a bunch of suitable 6, 3 and 2-way plugs and sockets for this sort of thing so I shouldn't have this problem in future.
So the motor turned the wheel. But switching beteween level 1, 2 and 3 did nothing. Again, the cause turned out to be stupidity; in my thrashing around to fix the "it doesn't work" problem, I'd disconnected the three-way switch. As soon as I reconnected that, the motor turned, it responded nicely to the throttle, and the three levels worked - 50%, 75% and 100%.
By that time is was 11:30 pm, too late in the day to take the bike out for a spin. Plus, that bike doesn't have a speedometer (I've ordered one, £3, I cannot believe how cheap all this stuff is).
And I need to go round the bike tightening up all the things I loosened, I need to make it so that the wiring doesn't just hang down to the ground (cable ties are my friends) and I need to balance the rear wheel (I've noticed some of the spokes aren't taut, and the wheel isn't running true). But this is all straightforward stuff. At this point, I know that this bike is going to work!
And I weighed it. It's 13 pounds lighter than bike.1 (44 pounds compared to 57) and that can be a big blessing when you're lifting a bike over a five bar gate that should have been left unlocked but which has been chained and bolted. For example.
Tomorrow, I go to London again. I'll be going in from the West (my two previous forays came from the North and then the East. And I'm hoping to finally finish off London Invasion.
Post a Comment