One of my DSL lines wasn't giving me internet connectivity. I rebooted the router a few times, to no avail. So I phoned up TalkTalk.
The lady there put me thought a few security questions, most of which I couldn't answer, but I must have got enough right. I explained the problem, and told her the line number. She tested the line, said it was OK, and suggested that the problem was with my connection, my filter, my router, or something else at my end.
So I explained that if I didn't have connectivity from this line, there wasn't much point in me paying for it, and I'd obviously cancel it.
That made a small change.
She said that if I checked the router and connections, and if there was still a problem, she could report it to BT. But I'd have to make the checks first.
So I went to the cupboard where the DSL routers are, and had a look. The router that wasn't connecting, was reporting that it was connecting - the lights on the router were reportnig that everythnig was fine!
So I went back upstairs, and sure enough, the pings that I'd been running continuously since yesterday, had started to reach the outside world. Obviously what had happened, was that the test that Lady TalkTalk had done, had cleared the problem.
So I called them back, and got the same lady. I explained to her that her diagnostic had cleared the fault. "There wan't a fault," she said. So I explained to her that I'd done nothing, she'd run her diagnostic and the fault cleared, therefore running her diagnostic was what cleared the fault, which therefore clearly was not on my side of the phone socket.
I don't think she really believed me.
Still, the DSL works now, and that's the main thing.
Post a Comment