Tuesday, 11 May 2021

Day 421 of self-isolation - Voter ID

Voter ID

This sounds like a good idea to me. Look at the kerfuffle that is still going strong in America, where a large percentage of the population think that the election was fraudulent.

In the UK, as in America, there is very little voter fraud, but we've seen now how even a completely baseless claim, can undermine people's faith in democracy.

The idea is that you show a picture ID when you vote (postal voting is a lot easier to secure). That picture ID would be your driving licence or passport. For those people without either of those, the government would provide a photo ID free of charge.


Monday, 10 May 2021

Day 420 of self-isolation - Hugs are go!

Hugs are go!

Michael Gove has revealed that hugging will be allowed very soon.

Ladysolly is being asked by several bridge clubs if she's willing to play face-to-face in a few weeks.

We're planning a trip to London very soon.

Things are getting back to normal!


Sunday, 9 May 2021

Day 419 of self-isolation - The Great Influenza

The Great Influenza

By John M Barry. I've been reading this, and it's really good. It explains things about viruses in general, and influenza in particular that I hadn't known before. It explains how viruses can acquire characteristics from other viruses, and how an initially weak virus, can increase in infectiousness and deadliness. How the "cytokine storm" is not a new thing, it happened 100 years ago. It explains "long Covid", because flu can do the same thing.

Covid-19 looks bad - but actually, we've dodged a bullet. Coronaviruses don't mutate as rapidly as influenza. Influenza is more like a swarm of similar viruses, of which a large percentage can't infect, but those that can, evolve rapidly.

Also, the symptoms, including anosmia, can be the same as for flu. And flu can be a bigger killer than Covid.

Spoiler - 50 million died, but eventually the pandemic ended.

Saturday, 8 May 2021

Day 418 of self-isolation - Fan


While I was in the server room, I heard a grinding noise. That's usually a bad noise. I have two ears, so I was able to track down the server making that noise, and sure enough, when I powered it down, the noise stopped. 

A grinding noise is usually a faulty fan.

I opened up the server, and it was easy to locate the fan with the problem. I had to dismantle the power supply to get it out, and it checked out - the bearing had worn out.

Fans run 24/7, and because they are mechanical, they are a frequent failure. This fan was 40x40x20 mm, and I have a few of those in stock, so I replaced it with a good fan, and everything is OK now. 

But what was I doing in the server room? Another computer was faining to start up. When I put it n the workbench, it was starting up then immediately going into a "kernel panic", which is a situation where the  system has failed so badly, it has to stop immediately.

I swapped out the memory, and replaced the system drive, and one of those two changes fixed the problem. Some time soon, I'll test the memory to see if it's usable.



Friday, 7 May 2021

Day 417 of self-isolation - an election

An election

Which we didn't vote in, because we don't know the candidates, or the issues, and we aren't going to vote Conservative because of the two major ways they have messed up this country (Brexit and Covid), and we aren't going to vote Labour because I'm still seeing a disturbing amount of racism there.

So we decided not to vote.

The important election will be 2024.

Thursday, 6 May 2021

Day 416 of self-isolation - Fedora 34

Fedora 34 

The latest version of Fedora is out. I've downloaded it and burned to DVDs, and I'm updating each of the servers to this new version. Updating is fairly easy.

yum update -y

dnf -y --releasever=34 --setopt=deltarpm=false distro-sync --allowerasing

There is a problem with updating the rpmfusion apps, but I don't think that's important.



India is getting worse. 3982 deaths and 412k new cases each day. At this rate, India will push the USA off the top slot for new cases per day within a month. And only 11% of the population is vaccinated.

Wednesday, 5 May 2021

Day 415 of self-isolation - Single figures

Single figures

We've seen single-figure numbers for new deaths this  weekend; it even got down to a single death. Things are looking really good, and the lockdown is being ease even more.

In India, the disaster continues to unfold, with nearly 4,000 deaths per day and nearly 400,000 new csaes. And that probably under-reported.